Saturday, September 30, 2017

September

This month I was finally able to get started on my volunteering, and I really enjoyed the experience. I spent one Saturday working with Habitat for Humanity, helping with painting the exterior and putting floors down inside. By the end of the day I was completely exhausted, but had such a positive experience and wanted to do it again as soon as my schedule would allow.

I was really surprised by my experience, as I have never worked with Habitat before, and did not really know what to expect going in. I assumed we would just be helping with smaller tasks, not really being held accountable for much, but we were really encouraged to get as involved as possible, and I even had the opportunity to use a power saw to cut pieces of hardwood floor- something I never thought I would do. At the end of the workday, being able to look at all the work I had put in throughout the day and see tangible results was really gratifying, and was definitely worth waking up early.

All in all, I would say my first experience volunteering in New Orleans was a very positive one, and I am very excited to continue doing so throughout the rest of this semester.

September Hours: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

April- Goodbye

This post is more difficult to write than any of the previous ones for a few reasons, the biggest one being that I always have struggled wit...