Wednesday, November 29, 2017

November


     This month actually flew by with a full week of November being spent on Thanksgiving break. Every other weekend in November I actually spent volunteering, which was such a nice routine to be in. My first volunteering opportunity was at the Crescent City Fall Classic 5k with Youth Run Nola. Basically, my job consisted of a variety of things including set-up, checking running buddies in, general helping with the Youth Run Nola heads, and clean up. This actually ended up being one of the most fun ways I could've spent my Saturday despite having a call time of 6:30 A.M. I actually got to interact with so many kids and even though I wasn't personally participating in the 5k, the enthusiastic adrenaline from all the runners made the entire atmosphere really lively and energetic.
       The next week I was able to participate in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Uncork the Cure event, serving food to guests. Though I don't personally know anyone affected by the disease, this event still felt special to contribute to as many of the guests in attendance had cystic fibrosis or their loved ones did. That same weekend I also volunteered with the Edible Schoolyard at their Open Garden Day. For the first few hours or so we were responsible for moving mulch to the garden area. After that we got to plant garlic bulbs in the ground- all of which was much more tiring and energy exerting than I had expected so in addition to volunteering, I was glad to also get a small workout in.
    The next weekend I volunteered with Edible Schoolyard again at their Iron Chef event held at Samuel J. Green Charter School. I helped Chef Victoria make shrimp tacos using our secret ingredient of papaya and to both of our surprise they actually turned out pretty well. I really enjoyed this event as well because we were working with seventh graders who all had pretty hilarious personalities and, like me, all started out pretty apprehensive about most aspects of the cooking, but by the end were all having a great time and were really proud of what they had made together.

November Hours: 20
Total Hours: 33

           

No comments:

Post a Comment

April- Goodbye

This post is more difficult to write than any of the previous ones for a few reasons, the biggest one being that I always have struggled wit...